Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304094.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 13:48:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tewkesbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 06285 22916


HAWLING HAWLING VILLAGE SP 02 SE 9/30 Manor House 4.7.60 GV II Manor House. C16, C17, mid C18, 1835 (datestone), altered C20. Coursed, squared stone, main part, ashlar to C18 wing, stone slate roof. 'E' plan, 4-window centre, 5-window right wing, left wing same length, off-centre wing to rear, all one room deep, 2 1/2 storeys. Entrance front: left wing, gable, 4-light mullion and transom window ground floor, 3-light mullion above, with hoodmould, 2-light mullion in gable, datestone over; parapet gable with cross-gablet apex. Right return, plinth, 4-light mullioned window with 2-light window each side; above three 2-light windows, all with hoodmoulds; decorative lead box gutter on wrought-iron brackets. Main wing, 2-storey porch off centre to left: 4- centred arch to doorway, sunk spandrels, hoodmould: string course over. Either side, plinth, 4-light mullion and transom window, hoodmould. Above, 3-light mullion window to porch, square plaque above, both with hoodmoulds, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Either side 4-light mullion window, with hoodmould: single-light in corner on right. Lead box gutter over, 4 gabled dormers, each with 2-light casement. Ridge chimney on line of right return left wing, 2 diagonally-set flues. Two chimneys from rear of block. On right C18 wing; left return, plinth, central doorway, 'L' hinges, fanlight, moulded surround, open stone pediment on consoles. Either side 2 sash windows, moulded surround, cambered head, keystone, rising to short moulded string over each window. First floor, 5 windows as below but with string; moulded stone eaves, lead gutter. Chimney on ridge at junction with main wing, 2 diagonally-set flues. Gable end, plinth, one window per floor as ground floor, left return; elliptical window in gable with moulded surround and 3 keystones. Parapet gable: chimney on right return. Interior: upper floors not inspected. C20 panelling to entrance and stair hall, Jacobean-style doors, also fireplace to stair hall at rear. Dogleg stairs, panelled, square newels, ball finials, moulded handrail, ramped to newels, spiral balusters (all early C20 or reset). To right of entrance 5-bay room, exposed beam and ceiling joists, originally 2 rooms; panelling as entrance. C18 wing, 6-panel doors; moulded plaster cornice to first room, eared fireplace surround with pulvinated frieze. Central dogleg stairs, marquetry strip on nosings, 3 turned balusters per tread, ramped, moulded handrail, square newels, dado panelling. End room fielded panelling, eared fireplace surround, decoration leaf carving over, eared overmantel: moulded plaster cornice. Cellar below end room only. Whole of right wing first half C18, probably circa 1740 as oval windows match stables (q.v.). Left wing built to contain kitchen, 1835; at least gable windows all date from after 1911, when there was a boarded door to first floor with flight of stone steps: Windows on 3 floors either side of porch altered at same time to make facade symmetrical. (Photograph at N.M.R.; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970).

Listing NGR: SP0628522916


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11833/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].