ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST NINIAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304105
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST NINIAN, BURNHOUSE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST NINIAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304105 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 10:31:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST NINIAN, BURNHOUSE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wooler
National Grid Reference:
NT 98922 28222

Details

NT 9828 WOOLER BURN ROUSE ROAD (North side)

16/106 Roman Catholic Church 21/9/51 of St. Ninian

GV II

Roman Catholic Church. 1856 by George Goldie. Snecked stone with Welsh slate roof.

Nave, chancel, south-west tower, south aisle, north chapel and vestry. Geometric style.

Doorway, in tower, has multi-moulded pointed arch. 3-light window over with gabled hoodmould over blind centre light. Bell stage has paired cusped lancets. 2-storey clasping stair projection with pent roof. Steeply-pitched gabled roof with quatrefoils in gables.

West end of nave has 2 cusped lancets separated by buttress with niche. Rose window over.

4-bay nave has 2-light traceried windows on north side; similar lower windows to south aisle and quatrefoil clerestory windows.

2-bay chancel with cusped lancets and 5-light traceried east window. Steeply- pitched gabled roofs.

Interior: south arcade with double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers.

Stained-glass window in south aisle in memory of George Goldie the architect. East window by Wailes.

Listing NGR: NT9892228222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237682
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07823/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Cuthbert. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].