ALMSHOUSES INCLUDING FRONT WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1304115

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES INCLUDING FRONT WALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOUSES INCLUDING FRONT WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304115 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 13:26:49.

Location

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES INCLUDING FRONT WALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Wimborne St. Giles

National Grid Reference: SU 03170 11983

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIMBORNE ST GILES SU 0311 WIMBORNE ST GILES' VILLAGE

13/115 Almshouses including front wall (formerly listed as 18.3.55 the Almshouses)

GV II*

Range of 10 almshouses with central common room, c. 1624. Flemish-bond brickwork with tiled roof having end stone copings and brick kneelers. Heavy, moulded brick cornice. Diagonally set, paired brick stacks with moulded caps between almshouses. Single storey, 10 window range. Moulded, square-headed, 2-light stone mullioned windows. Paired ashlar doorways with depressed 4-centred heads and plank doors. Central former common room has an ashlar loggia of 3 round arches. The common room range is gabled above and bears a central cartouche of arms flanked by square-headed casement windows. The central doorway from the loggia to the former common room is highly ornate having a surround with arabesques to the uprights and palmette above. The doorway has moulded stiles and rails and a round-headed open panel above containing a fretwork panel with a carved grotesque mask. (RCHM, Dorset, vol V, p 94, no. 2).

Listing NGR: SU0317011984

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 107450

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 94

End of official listing