FORMER LODGE TO HIGHCLIFFE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304191
Date first listed:
14-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
FORMER LODGE TO HIGHCLIFFE CASTLE, 179, LYMINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER LODGE TO HIGHCLIFFE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 06:18:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER LODGE TO HIGHCLIFFE CASTLE, 179, LYMINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Christchurch (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 20555 93395

Details

LYMINGTON ROAD 1. (South Side) 5187 HIGHCLIFFE

No 179 (Former lodge to Highcliffe Castle) SZ 2093 13/408 14.10.53.

II GV

2. Several authorities date both lodges (Nos 179 and 181) at circa 1775 when house for the Earl of Bute was built by Adam or Capability Brown but architectural appearance that of 1830 when present castle was built. Stuccoed with wide eaves and hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, road facade with centre, round arched, recess containing blank window space. Flanking side recesses surmounted by panels. 2 windows, those on side facing drive flanked by pilasters with niches. Windows, barred sashes and large contemporary angled bay.

The former boundary wall of Highcliffe Castle forms a group with Nos 179 and 181, the milestone opposite and St Mark's Parish Church, its Lychgate and the War Memorial in the churchyard.

Listing NGR: SZ2055593395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101536
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02291/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F.G.G. Hawkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].