ROOKERS (OR ROOKERY) FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED OUITBUILDINGS AT REAR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1304203

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: ROOKERS (OR ROOKERY) FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED OUITBUILDINGS AT REAR, BATCOMBE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROOKERS (OR ROOKERY) FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED OUITBUILDINGS AT REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:35:40.

Location

Statutory Address: ROOKERS (OR ROOKERY) FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED OUITBUILDINGS AT REAR, BATCOMBE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Leigh

National Grid Reference: ST 62187 07778

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEIGH ST 60 NW BATCOMBE ROAD

5/34 Rookers (or Rookery) Farm House, 11-7-51 including attached outbuildings at rear

- II

Farmhouse. Probably mid-late C16 origin, altered in mid-C17 and C18. "Rubble stone walls, thatched roof, hipped at right end. One brick stack in front wing, one stone stack in rear wing. One storey and attic. L-shaped plan - front range of 3-room and cross-passage type - possibly of long-house origin. Door into cross-passage with carved stone round-arched head. Coat of Arms over, dated 1663. Ledged door. Ground floor has 3 casements with centre glazing bar. Attic has four 1/2-dormers with similar casements. Rear-kitchen - wing of similar construction and date. At right end of front range a C20 brick extension, single-storeyed, with patent tile roof. At left end, a stone lean-to extension, with corrugated asbestos roof. Internally, left ground floor room has deep chamfered ceiling beam; - similar beams in cross-passage. Kitchen, in rear wing has very large open fireplace with timber lintel - possible evidence of curing chamber. Deep chamfered ceiling beam. At rear of kitchen a cross-passage and beyond this a former brewhouse. Beyond this, attached to main building, a cowshed range, with rubble stone walls and patent tile roof. (RCHM Monument 16 (Dorset. Vol.I). R Machin. "The Houses of Yetminster." University of Bristol, 1978)

Listing NGR: ST6218707778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106052

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952)
Machin, R , The Houses of Yetminster, (1978)

End of official listing