This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1304213

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HARLEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Gussage All Saints

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 107373

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUSSAGE ALL SAINTS ST 91 SE HARLEY LANE

5/36 Church of All Saints 18.3.55

GV 1

Parish church, C14 with upper stage of tower C15. North vestry and general restoration of 1864, by Ewan Christian. Flint and rubble walls with ashlar dressings; tower partly in ashlar and partly in banded flint and ashlar. Tiled roofs with gable stone copings. Shallow 2-stage buttresses. Plan: nave, chancel, south tower above porch and north vestry. 2-light pointed windows with curvilinear tracery. Similar 3-light east chancel window and west nave window. 3 stage south tower with embattled parapet and square-set buttresses to the first stage. 2-light belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery and stopped labels. Polygonal vice with original door to west. Pointed south arch to porch of 2 chamfered orders.

Internal features: C19 chancel arch (said to be by Hicks) of 3 chamfered orders the innermost springing from a respond shaft with C19 carved capitals; vestry arch of 3 chamfered orders; cusped rere-arches to windows; C19, 4-bay arch braced collar roof to nave springing from wall shafts with C19 carved capitals; C19 waggon roof to chancel; C14 recess with crocketted ogee head and other enrichments; piscinae in nave and chancel; continuous C19 scroll- moulded string course to nave; 2 floor brasses with black letter inscriptions, one dated 1574 and the other 1508; C14 font with octagonal bowl on cylindrical stem; C18 organ by Walker; other fittings largely C19. (RCHM, Dorset, vol V, p.18-19, no. 1., Newman J and Pevsner N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.218.)

Listing NGR: ST9984010829

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 18-19
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 218

National Grid Reference: ST 99845 10827

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304213 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 12:20:37.

End of official listing