HENRY AISGIL MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY CIRCA 4.5 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304217
Date first listed:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
HENRY AISGIL MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY CIRCA 4.5 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HENRY AISGIL MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY CIRCA 4.5 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 07:56:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
HENRY AISGIL MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY CIRCA 4.5 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Down Hatherley
National Grid Reference:
SO 86764 22478

Details

SO 82 SE DOWN HATHERLEY DOWN HATHERLEY VILLAGE

6/23 Henry Aisgil monument in the churchyard of the Church of St. Mary c4.5m east of chancel

GV II

Chest tomb top Henry Aisgil, dated 1622. Limestone. Sides divided into 3 panels. Raised inscription plaque on central panels with inscriptions, inscription on south side; HIC / IACIT SEPULTUS VENERABILIS / VIR HENRICUS AISGIL ECCLESIA CATHE / DRALIS MENEVENSIS CHANCELLARIUS / GLOUCESTERIENSIS PREBENDARIUS NEC / NON HUIUS PAROCHII VICARIUS / QUI OBIIT IN DOMINO / ANNO DONI 1622 / raised scrollwork margin. Panels either side decorated with raised heraldic shields each within a blind round-headed arch with imposts, fluted pilasters either side. Inscription on north also in Latin but in smaller, almost illegible lettering, otherwise as on south. Small projecting pedestals at either end, projecting from sunken mushroom shaped panels. Pedestals perhaps formerly supported carved skulls. Capping with moulded margin.

Listing NGR: SO8676422478

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
134143
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00465/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].