OLD LIMEKILNS 450 METRES SOUTH EAST OF REDSTEAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304262
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
OLD LIMEKILNS 450 METRES SOUTH EAST OF REDSTEAD, B1340

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD LIMEKILNS 450 METRES SOUTH EAST OF REDSTEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304262 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 14:26:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD LIMEKILNS 450 METRES SOUTH EAST OF REDSTEAD, B1340

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Embleton
National Grid Reference:
NU 21897 22687

Details

NU 22 SW NU 219227 EMBLETON B 1340 (East side, off)

3/56 Old limekilns 450 metres south-east of Redstead II

Pair of limekilns, early and later C19. Squared whinstone and limestone rubble with cut sandstone dressings; brick eyes and lining to square kiln pot. Plan: main kiln circular with added square kiln to south-east, both served by same charging ramp. Circular kiln has 3 semicircular drawing arches with raking buttresses between; central arch has inserted lower segmental head with rock- faced-and-margined voussoirs. Square kiln has segmental drawing arches and set-back raking buttresses at corners. All arches have small segmental-headed eyes. Circular pots.

Shown on the 1865 O.S. map as Christonbank Lime Works. Impressive and well preserved.



Listing NGR: NU2189722687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01417/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].