Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1304301

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304301 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 00:16:11.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Compton Abdale

National Grid Reference: SP0593416581


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


COMPTON ABDALE COMPTON ABDALE VILLAGE SP 01 NE 5/18 Church of St. Oswald 26.1.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C13, C15, restored 1883 by Ewen Christian and again in 1904-5 by F.W. Waller. Nave chancel and north aisle random limestone or limestone rubble, part of north wall of north aisle rebuilt in ashlar. Porch, coursed squared and dressed limestone. Stone slate roof. Plan; nave with tower at west end, north aisle with projecting porch towards west end, chancel. Flat- chamfered plinth to chancel. Chancel north wall, C19 two-light window with hollow-moulded stone-mullion. Perpendicular 3-light east window with hollow-chamfered stone mullions, small embattlemented transom below uppermost tracery stopped hood. South wall; two 2-light windows with hollow-moulded mullions, trefoil tracery at top and carved spandrels. Nave; buttressed at south- west corner. South wall; 2 rectangular C19 windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and stone-mullions with stepped and ovolo mouldings, trefoil in spandrels, hollow-moulded surrround. Traces of possible blocked south doorway below left-hand window. Small 2- light late Perpendicular or Tudor window towards west end with cinquefoil-headed lights and trefoil tracery in upper corners, hollow-moulded surround incorporating a carved man's head at the centre of a 4-petalled flower (i.e. a green man) at top of surround. Perpendicular 3-stage tower with moulded plinth with diagonal buttresses with couchant animals on offsets. Strings between stages. Carved heads at the ends of lower string. Man blowing horn (probably a representation of St. Oswald) at centre of string on west. Scratch sundial with metal gnomon on south side of tower. Two-light pointed belfry windows with quatrefoils, stone slate louvres and stopped hoods. Battlemented parapet with beast's head gargoyles offset from corners. Corner pinnacles in the form of rampant dogs/wolves with staves. Canted stair turret at north- east corner of tower. North aisles; Perpendicular window, matching that at east end of chancel, left of porch. Chamfered string at east end. Early English porch (rebuilt C19) with diagonal buttresses. Pointed entrance arch with two flat-chamfered orders, the inner forming Early English engaged columns. Stopped hood. Carved man's head above arch. Stepped coping to gable ends, roll-cross saddles. Upright stone cross finial at east end of chancel. Weathervane at centre of tower. Inside porch; stone bench seats. C19 door with fillets within pointed Early English hollow-moulded arch. Church interior plastered. Four-bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal piers with moulded octagonal capitals. C14 arch from nave to tower, engaged octagonal columns with embattlements capitals with 4-petal flower decoration. Wide C19 double-chamfered arch from nave to chancel. Wagon roofs to nave, chancel and south aisle probably late C18-C19. Red tile floor in chancel, limestone flags in nave. Doorless aumbry in south wall of chancel. Opening to give access to former rood loft upper right of easternmost arch of nave arcade. Defaced stone carving probably representing St. George and the dragon with painted striped red and green background set into wall above pulpit. Furniture and fittings: C19 chalice-like stone font inside north door. C19 pews and pulpit. Monuments; four C19 white on grey marble monuments to members of the Walker family in chancel some by Lewis. Two C19 stone ledges in floor. C19 stained glass in east window of chancel and in westernmost window of nave south wall. Fragments of medieval window glass in west window of tower. Tripartite wooden plaque in tower recording the recasting of its bells in 1880. History; the tower was built when the church was a possession of St. Oswald's Priory at Gloucester. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP0593416581


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 130016

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing