THE CLOCK TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304394
Date first listed:
26-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
THE CLOCK TOWER, PEVERIL POINT ROAD, SWANAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CLOCK TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304394.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 20:04:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CLOCK TOWER, PEVERIL POINT ROAD, SWANAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Purbeck (District Authority)
Parish:
Swanage
National Grid Reference:
SZ 03783 78648

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/11/2014

SZ 0378 4/130

PEVERIL POINT ROAD The Clock Tower

(Formerly listed under PENCIL POINT ROAD) (Formerly listed as Clock Tower near the Pier)

26.6.52

II Built in 1854 at the southern approach to London Bridge. Designed by Arthur Ashpital as a memorial to the Duke of Wellington. Removed and re-erected on its present site in 1867-8 by Mowlem and Burt. Square stone structure, of 3 stages, the lower 2 stages solid, the upper stage open, supporting an ogee-shaped cupola, (replacing a former spire). The lowest stage has, in each face, a 2-centred arch doorway with an ogee canopy in a square frame. The second stage, above a carved band course, has a 2-light segmental arched window with a circular window above, under a crocketted gable. The top stage consists of 4 piers supporting 2-centres cusped arches with ogee canopies carrying the cupola. Double angle buttresses with gabled crocketted tops.

Listing NGR: SZ0378378648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
108256
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07074/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].