This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List entry Number: 1304415

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Swanton Novers

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 224004

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 03 SW SWANTON NOVERS

3/90 Church of St. Edmund. 6/3/59 II*

Parish church. Nave with Norman or pre Norman evidence, C14 Decorated tower, north aisle and chancel largely of 1881 by Edwin Dolby architect of Abingdon. Flint, carstone conglomerate, stone and brick, tiled roofs, tower, nave, south porch, north aisle, chancel. Decorated tower with west "Y" tracery window and niche, belfry stage 2-light Decorated windows, battle- mented parapet, all rebuilt 1960. South porch 1881. Nave south with blocked arched headed Norman door, conglomerate quoins to south east gable. One "Y" tracery 2-light window, one 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular window. Chancel rebuilt 1821 and c.186O, north aisle 1881 Perpendicular style details. Interior 2 bay north aisle, Perpendicular chancel arch. Roofs of 1881, boarded waggon chancel roof. Chancel piscina Perpendicular with ogee head and W monogram in spandrels set in fleuron ring. C15 octagonal nave font with 4 Evangelist symbols and W monogram in crowns of thorns. See Kelly's Directory Norfolk 1916 p.471.

Listing NGR: TG0154832380

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Norfolk, (1916), 471

National Grid Reference: TG 01548 32380

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 12:03:43.

End of official listing