This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Church of St Mary

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Church of St Mary

List entry Number: 1304468

Location

Church of St Mary, Rectory Road

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Piddlehinton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104930

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 79 NW 12/199

PIDDLEHINTON RECTORY ROAD (South side) Church of St Mary

26-1-56 GV I Parish Church. Tower and south aisle, C15; chancel nave and south porch C16 ;north porch, nave extensions and general restorations 1867. 1867 work by E Christian. Walls of ashlar and banded flint and rubble with ashlar dressings. Gable ended slate roofs with partial stone-slate verges and stone copings. C15, C16 and C19 parts in the 'perpendicular' style.

Plan: chancel, nave, south tower, north and south porches.

Tower:three-stages separated by strings; plinth and embattled parapet; gargoyles to parapet string; corner standards with crocketted finials; rectangular vice turret with loops; square set buttresses; two-centred south window of three-lights with vertical tracery and a label bearing head stops; second stage has loops east and west; third stage has two-centred, two-light windows having labels with head stops.

South aisle: ashlar parapet with gargoyle; window of three-lights with square head and vertical tracery. Chancel: north and south windows of two-lights with square heads and labels with head stops; east window of three-lights under two-centred head with vertical tracery and label with head stops; two-centred north door with carved foliage spandrels and square label with carved stops. North aisle and nave: east and west windows are C19 of three-lights with vertical tracery under two-centred heads with head-stop labels; north windows C19 of two and three-lights with square heads and head-stop labels.

North porch has two-centred, moulded head with head stop label. South porch has moulded, four-centred head and continuous jambs.

Interior features: north aisle arcade of four bays with two-centred moulded arches, the hollow chamfer of which is continuous with the piers; north arcade piers have four shafts with moulded capitals; south aisle has single, moulded, segmental pointed arch having central wave moulding continuous with jambs and respond shafts with moulded bases and capitals, the latter having leaf enrichment; two-centred, moulded, tower arch, having central hollow chamfer continuous with jambs and respond shafts with moulded bases and capitals, the latter having foliage enrichment; two-centred, moulded, chancel arch, having central hollow chamfer continuous with jambs and respond shafts with moulded capitals; C19 king-post roof to nave; C19 arch braced collar beam roof to north-aisle; flat roof dated 1756 to south aisle with moulded beams and circular bosses; C18 or C19 plastered, ribbed barrel vault with carved bosses to chancel; squint; C19 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels; ogee headed piscina; sedilla with trefoiled tracery; carved angel on south side arcade respond; shallow niches in chancel; C16, C17, C18, C19 and C20 wall plates and monuments; other fittings largely C19/C20.

Listing NGR: SY7156997159

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 207-209
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 312-313

National Grid Reference: SY 71570 97158

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 05:28:22.

End of official listing