- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THORNAGE HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304519.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 18:36:45.
- Statutory Address:
- THORNAGE HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 04791 36364
TG 13 NW
1/113 Thornage Hall
Hall, c1482, altered C17 and CL9. Former grange of The Bishops of Norwich. Built for Bishop Goldwell (1472-99). Rendered flint with stone dressings. Black glazed pantiles. Gable parapets. Rectangular hall, c9 x 21m. Now 2 storeys and attic. Front: 4 stepped buttresses with stone dressings, right hand buttress double width. Small gault brick internal gable stacks and one small central axial stack. Large equilateral stone arch of 5 orders to left (to former screens passage) having continuous deep mouldings to front and rear, with slender round shafts to 2nd and 4th orders. Double leaved part glazed door. (Arch is now behind foundations of former porch and is probably the porch arch reset). Smaller doorway to right: arch barely pointed, rendered round shafts. Late C19 panelled door heavily carved with medieval themes including monogram MR with lilies in pre-Raphaelite style. Over door C15 square headed window of 2 cusped lights under panel tracery. Full height window with similar head to right, transom at first floor level, window later extended down c½m below original level. Stone dressings. Spandrels to interior and exterior with shields showing W, well and scallop (symbols of Bishop Goldwell). Left hand side windows inserted after 1851. Left of arch: full height to match right hand side; right of arch, on ground and first floor, cross windows with rendered brick surrounds. Right hand gable: flint and brick mosaic. Lattice attic window. Left hand gable: rendered flint and brick. Blocked stone doorway arch in centre. Inserted C18 3-light casement with glazing bars to ground floor. 2 C20 inserted attic windows. C19 lean-to of no special interest. Rear: coursed flint and brick mosaic. Irregular mosaic near eaves. Pantiles. Parts of two 4-centred relieving arches to right upper floor and similar full height arch to left (possibly former hall oriel). Ground and first floor: casement windows of C19 and C20. 2 stepped buttresses with stone dressings. Interior: floored and subdivided C17 with service rooms to rear. Roll moulded chamfered beams with ogee and bar stops. C19 pine dogleg stair case with bobbin turned balusters behind right hand door. Right hand room fireplace: C19 pine surround with carved relief trailing foliage; late C19 tiles around grate in blue and orange with rondels depicting activities of the months in pre- Raphaelite style. Left hand room has inserted fireplace across blocked doorway arch. Roof: rebuilt, many timbers renewed, scissor braced, 3 rows of butt purlins. Some moulded purlins. Large rough hewn pine ties. Drawing in hall of 1851 shows stacks and both door arches. Forms a group with dovecote, barn and cartshed.
Listing NGR: TG0479136364
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing