CHAPEL OF ST MARGARET AND ST ANTHONY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1304525
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1955
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST MARGARET AND ST ANTHONY, SAINT MARGARET'S HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304525.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2021 at 21:04:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST MARGARET AND ST ANTHONY, SAINT MARGARET'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pamphill
National Grid Reference:
SU 00415 00364

Details

1. 5193 PAMPHILL SAINT MARGARET"S HILL (South-west Side) Chapel of St Margaret and St Anthony SU 00 SW 4/10 18.3.55 II* GV 2. C13 - originally the chapel of leper hospital. Ironstone walls, modern tiled roof, with timber bell-turret at west end. Single-cell building, with no structural chancel. Attached cottage at west end (No 1 St Margaret's qv) may have been the original priest's house. C16 timber-framed wall separates chapel from cottage. South wall has blocked pointed arched doorway at west end, with inserted window. Two-light C13 window in chancel. Modern two-light gothic windows in nave. East wall of chancel, repaired in brick, has round-headed C18 window with timber glazing bars - domestic style. North wall has two-light C15 window in chancel and a two-light modern gothic window in nave. C13 pointed arched doorway in centre of nave. C15 pointed arched doorway at west end. Simple arch-braced waggon roof - rafters exposed. C17 altar table - other fittings modern. RCHM Monument 1. See Hutchins' History of Dorset.

Listing NGR: SU0041500364

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
107292
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1861)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02067/28
Rights: © Mr Trevor Fenwick. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.