This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List entry Number: 1304567

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thurne

National Park: THE BROADS

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 227733

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THURNE CHURCH ROAD TG 41 NW (north side) 4/63 Church of St. Edmund 25.9.62

- II*

Parish church. Late C13 west tower, nave and chancel. Partly refenestrated C15. Restored 1853. Flint with ashlar dressings, partly rendered. Thatched roofs. Square unbuttressed 3 stage tower with ashlar quoins. Cusped lancet to west above circular squint. A single ringing chamber lancet to west side. - Boarded belfry windows. Triple crenellations to parapet of brick, probably late C15. West nave gable on later brick kneelers. Nave supported by stepped side buttresses. Moulded south doorway with hood on labels. 3 south nave windows. To west (over south door) 2-light Geometric-window of 1853. Centre is 2-light late C13 window with trefoiled-headed lights supporting an irregular quatrefoil vesica. The jambs and mullions are moulded. To east is a 3-light C15 Perpendicular window under depressed arch. 2 2-light renewed chancel south and north windows : square-headed and Perpendicular. Between them an arched priests' door to south side. 4-light C19 intersecting chancel east window. Gabled north porch also thatched, and supported by diagonal stepped buttresses. Moulded arched entrance below statutary niche. 2-light side windows. Late C13 inner north door. One 2-light C14 north nave window. Interior. Arched doorway into tower. Arch braced nave and chancel roofs dropping to wall posts One tier butt purlins and ridge piece. Pendant bosses at junctions. Roofs probably C16. C19 chancel arch and re-set rood beam. Late C17 altar rails with turned balusters. Chancel with double trefoiled C13 piscina and simple bench sedilia. C19 octagonal font.



Listing NGR: TG4051015613

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 40510 15613

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304567 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 06:44:52.

End of official listing