Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1304592
Date first listed: 22-Oct-1987
Statutory Address: WITCOMBE FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304592 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 21:40:44.
Statutory Address: WITCOMBE FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish: Great Witcombe
National Grid Reference: SO 90650 14971
GREAT WITCOMBE -
SO 91 SW
7/90 Witcombe Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Early C17-late C17; late C18-early C19 and mid-late C19. Large random squared and dressed limestone to main body, extensions in brick and coursed squared and dressed limestone; concrete tile roof with brick stacks on ashlar stumps. Complex plan comprising an early range running north-south with slightly later C17 range running east-west adjoining, late C18-early C19 range and C19 stone-built extension at right angles on the south side. C19 stable block not of special interest. 1½-2 storeys. The early range possibly built in two phases, Cotswold dormer upper right; 3-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned casement with hollow-moulded mullion and hood lower left; 3-light casement with restored mullions and stopped hood to the right; two 2-light casements and a single-light casement with a double-chamfered surround to the first floor; small window with 4 bull's-eye glass panes to the gable of the Cotswold dormer. C19 panelled door within an open-sided gabled C19 porch at the south facing gable end at the centre of which is a stone with the inscription 'LOVE THE TRUTH / SIN GOD DOTH HAT(E) / AND BE CONTENT WITH THINE ESTATE'. Roughly incised inscription lower left 'W. Bub 1845 (q.v. monuments in the churchyard of the Church of the Holy Trinity, Badgeworth C.P.). Two 2-light C19 stone-mullioned casements and a 2-light wooden casement to the south front of the late C17 range. C20 panelled door with a flat-chamfered lintel off-centre right; two 2-light hipped roof dormers to the upper floor. Two C20 three- light casements to the rendered gable end of the late C18-early C19 extension to the right. Two 2-light C20 casements to the C19 extension. Stepped gable end coping to the early range; axial; projecting and gable-end stacks. Interior of the early range: intersecting beams with 2 panels of decorative ceiling plasterwork: single large lozenge at the centre of each panel and fleur de lys at each corner; Tudor-arched stone fireplace now painted with white glass paint within an adjoining room with simple continual incised zig-zag and 'U' decoration, initialled and dated 'C.H. 1665'; moulded mantelshelf with plasterwork overmantel with cherub's head within an oval at the centre, womens' faces within lozenges linked to the oval either side; two rose motifs and two bellflower motifs above. Beam in an upstairs room with deep flat chamfers with pecked decoration at the edges, and fleur de lys at the mid point; small Tudor-arched fireplace with flat-chamfered surround decorated and motifs resembling playing card suits in relief, in the same room. Beams with deep flat chamfers and wall.with C17 panelling within the later C17 range.
Listing NGR: SO9065014971
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 135040
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing