- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- MANNINGTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304622 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:23:40.
- Statutory Address:
- MANNINGTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 14374 32008
TG 13 SW
7/49 Mannington Hall
Large moated hall house of c 1460 with later additions mainly of 1864. Galletted mosaic of coursed alternating whole iron stained flints and knapped flints. Pantile roof. Hall, now floored, with parlour and chamber over to right, screens passage and service area with chamber over to left. Third storey above. West Front: 3 storeys; stone dressings to plinth, quoins, and embattled parapet, string course with gargoyle grotesques below parapet. Large polygonal clasping turret to right. Off centre door to screens passage to left has 4-centred arch, hollow chamfered rendered brick square hood mould with square rebated stops. C14 fragment of unattached label stop depicting bust of civilian to left. Above and to sides of doorway inscription, mainly of 1864 in Black Letter. To right inserted fragments including arms in terracotta and stone. All ground floor and first floor windows of rendered brick mullions with plain segmental heads having square brick hood moulds with square rebated label stops; ground floor to left of door of 2 lights, 4 lights to hall and to parlour to right, 1st floor of 4 lights to chamber above service area to right and above parlour to left, 3 scattered 2 light win- dows to centre. 2nd floor has 5 evenly spaced 2-light windows in rendered brick beneath 4 centred arches and hood moulds. One square headed window of 2 lights to each floor of polygonal turret at right angle. South Facade: Single bay gable end of hall of 2 storeys and attic. Embattled polygonal clasping turrets at right and left angles, that to right being smaller. Plain parapet to gable with stone plaque at apex. Turrets and gable parapets articulated by string course. Windows as in west facade, the same to attic/2nd floor, 4 leaded lights to ground and 1st floor. One 2-light square headed window to each floor of left hand turret. Wide one bay, two storey extension of 1864 to right to match; 4 light stone mullioned windows to ground and first floor; platband and decorative tiles in moulded gault brick; embattled parapet with blank gothic panel tracery in stone, having frieze below of moulded gault brick tiles. Clasping polygonal buttress to right angle has ball finial. East facing return to north: lower part of wall rebuilt 1969 when single storey addition of 1864 was demolished, two 4-light mullioned windows from 1864 addition were inserted; upper wall of 1864 has two 4-light mullions. Parapet has blank stone Gothic panel tracery with frieze below of moulded brick tiles, those to north of C15 those to south of 1864 in gault Costessey brick to match. Parapet and frieze articulated by moulded brick pilasters. C17 domestic range to east at right refaced 1969; brick under pantiles. Arched doorway and 4-light mullioned window of 1864 inserted. Chimneys to main hall, 1864 extension and domestic range in groups of 2 and 4 with decorative moulded brick shafts with elaborate oversailing caps; some of these in red brick of C16, others in C19 gault brick to match. East Front to Moat: domestic range of 5 bays. 2 storeyed brick gable of C17 range to left, coursed flint base with 2 large buttresses; mullioned windows with square hood moulds having square rebated stops of 3 lights to ground floor and of 2 lights to first floor. To left 4 bay range of 1896 on old foundations. Pebble flint under pantiles. 4 gabled half dormers with 3-light mullioned windows, scattered fenestration below. North gable of range in pebble flint, dated 1896 on plaque with Walpole arms surmounted by coronet. Lean-to to gable and adjacent north facing wall rising from moat in brick under pantiles has curved east end. Courtard approached by bridge (qv 7/51). Service range of 1896 to east: mosiac of galletted knapped flints and whole flints; roof in vertical stripes of black glazed and red pantiles; parapeted gable. Ground floor casement windows and doors under segmentel arches. 2 gabled half dormers. Elaborate C19 moulded axial chimney shafts, 3 to left, 4 to right, one at right gable. North gable of hall to south: large blocked window to 1st floor, 2-light attic window in gault brick. 2 storey brick service range to left, C19 facade with 4 sashes with glazing bars to 1st floor, door and varied fenestration to ground floor. Chimney stack of 4 gault brick shafts, 2 x 2, above large internal fire place. Interior: Screens passage has closed string hall staircase of 1864 and panell- ing with acorn frieze. Fire place in room to left lined with Dutch tiles has 3 coats of arms, one effaced, one of the Ironmongers Company, the other a merchant's mark. Hall to right: large fire place with pointed segmental arch lined with Dutch tiles, to original external east wall. C16 panelling from Irmingland Hall has carved frieze and 3 figure-head brackets over fireplace. Round headed arch to right of fire place with projecting keystones and imposts leads to dining room of 1864 which has plaster ceiling and marble fireplace both with monogram HWW (Horatio Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford). Parlour to right of hall has 4-centred moulded arch to fire place; heraldic stained glass c 1902.
Listing NGR: TG1437432008
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing