RICHMOND HILL UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1304642

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1974

Statutory Address: RICHMOND HILL UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOLS, BOURNE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RICHMOND HILL UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304642 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:29:42.

Location

Statutory Address: RICHMOND HILL UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOLS, BOURNE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SZ 08524 91368

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. BOURNE AVENUE 5l86 (North Side) Richmond Hill United Reformed Church and Sunday Schools SZ 0891 13/123 1.8.74.

II

2. Formerly Congregational, 1890-1, by Lawson and Donkin. Large and elaborate free Late Gothic, Purbeck stone with Bath stone dressings. North-west tower with octagonal third stage of gabled windows clasped by polygonal pinnacles (with far-projecting gargoyles); on this a smaller octagonal lantern with gabled windows, supported by flying buttresses, carrying short spire with iron finial. West front has lean-to narthex with 8-light window over (ogee hoodmould); south-west porch with polygonal front and traceried parapet. North and south flanks with lean-to aisles (3-light straight-headed windows) and big gabled 4-light clerestory windows. Transept gables have pair of tall 4-light windows with transom, with traceried rose window over, elaborate foliage carving to gabled north transept doorway. Interior with narrow passage aisles, pair of arches and 1 clerestory window embraced by each bay of ribbed timber coving to roof, carried on pink granite wall shafts with black shaft rings and foliage capitals. Centre of roof has arched braces, making overall trefoil section, canted boarding between, with openwork foliage panels on wallplate. West gallery and transept galleries with arcaded fronts, front 10 rows of main pews arranged in semi-circle, extending into transepts. Apse polygonal, with ribbed timber vault, also on pink granite wall shafts with foliage capitals. Big circular pulpit with foliage panels between buttresses, and pink granite columns. Joined at east to Sunday Schools and halls (altered and enlarged 1953).

Listing NGR: SZ0852491368

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 101712

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing