CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1304672

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SEDGEFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 08:00:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SEDGEFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Fring

National Grid Reference: TF 73541 34868

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 73 SW FRING SEDGEFORD ROAD (east)

5/10 Church of All Saints. 5.6.53.

- II*

Parish church. Largely C14 Decorated. Flint with stone dressings, slated roofs. West tower, nave and south porch, chancel. 3 stage west tower with set-off buttresses to west face only. Lozenge-shaped west window with four petal flower tracery; blocked low sided window on south, lancet above. Bell-stage with 4 "Y" tracery windows, partly brick parapet. 2 bay nave with 2 "Y" tracery windows with sub-cusping. On south and north 2 bay chancel with cusped "Y" tracery windows on south side only. South porch with north and south windows, south and north doors with sunk quadrant mouldings, north door blocked. Priest's door and blocked arched niche on chancel south side. Chancel east window partly blocked and reduced in size with inserted mid-C19 2-light window; chancel north window blocked. Low pitched C19 roofs, earlier taller pitch roof-line visible on east face of tower. Interior: tall Decorated tower arch, double chamfered towards the nave. Fireplace in tower with re-used Norman pillar piscina with scallop capital (not seen). Nave north side c.1330 St. Christopher wall-painting. Blocked round arched opening between 2 south side windows, blocked door below north side window by chancel arch. Double chamfered Decorated chancel arch with on south a niche with sub-cusped ogee head. Behind arch within chancel a blocked arched squint formerly open to south. South east window with remains of window embrasure sedilia. Good Decorated ogee-headed sub-cusped piscina with surviving credence shelf and scalloped- out soak-away. C19 altar rails incorporate perhaps C15 wooden tracery. C13 octagonal Purbeck-type stone font with 2 shallow blank pointed arches to each face, rounded bowl, octagonal base, shaft with C20 repairs in cement. Simple mid-late C19 tie-beam nave roof, boarded chancel. H. Munro Cautley Norfolk Churches, (Ipswich 1949), p. 199.

Listing NGR: TF7354134868

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221394

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Norfolk Churches, (1949), 199

End of official listing