SHEEPSCOMBE METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304726
Date first listed:
24-Aug-1990
Statutory Address:
SHEEPSCOMBE METHODIST CHAPEL, JACKS GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHEEPSCOMBE METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 10:29:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHEEPSCOMBE METHODIST CHAPEL, JACKS GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Painswick
National Grid Reference:
SO 88928 09913

Details

PAINSWICK JACK'S GREEN, Sheepscombe SO 80 NE (north side) 5/137 Sheepscombe Methodist Chapel - II Baptist Chapel, later Primitive Methodist. 1820. Coursed and squared lime- stone, Welsh slate roof. Simple gabled building parallel to street, 2 pointed 2-light windows with hoods, wood casements to triangular heads, horizontal glaz- ing bars. Central plank door in 4-centred stone arch with square hood, over inscription METHODIST CHAPEL; raised on four stone steps. Each gable end has one window, and the back has two, all as main front. To right, back, plank door in plain opening. Interior modified. Built in 1820 but sold to Methodists in 1831 on transfer of meeting to chapel in New Street (qv). (Stell, C; Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses; 1986).

Listing NGR: SO8892809913

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
133321
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08121/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Carenza Ellery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].