BARN 27 METRES EAST OF MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304738
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
BARN 27 METRES EAST OF MANOR HOUSE, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN 27 METRES EAST OF MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 21:33:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN 27 METRES EAST OF MANOR HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Freethorpe
National Grid Reference:
TG 41191 04983

Details

TG 40 SW FREETHORPE THE GREEN (East side) 1807/7/37 Barn 27m East of Manor 20.25.1952 House

GV II

Barn. Early- mid C18 with later alterations and additions. Built for the Walpole family. Brick, beneath a thatched roof. FRONT (east) ELEVATION; long range, aligned east-west, with gabled porches to the east, each with double doors set beneath shallow brick arches. Tumbled brickwork above arches at eaves level, but gables above rebuilt incorporating metal ties. Breather vents to outer sides of, and between porches. Added outshut to west, not structurally bonded to main building. Pitching holes beside double doors opening into offshut. Gables with pitching holes, each with an owl hole above and 2 ventilation slits below. INTERIOR: 12-bay roof with arch-braced chamfered tie beams set on wall posts bolted to the walls. 2 tiers of staggered purlins with diagonal wind braces. Wooden threshing floor to south porch and threshing bay, and herringbone brick flooring elsewhere. This large barn forms a group with the nearby STOCK HOUSE (Item 7/35) and the CARTSHED (item 7/36) NOTE: the attached stock yard buildings to the south and west are much-altered C19 structures and are NOT included in the list.



Listing NGR: TG4119104983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228614
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05534/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].