This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

List entry Number: 1304748

Location

CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Staverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 126629

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 82 SE STAVERTON CHURCH LANE (south side) 6/88 Church of St Catherine 4.7.60 GV II* Parish church. C13, C14, possibly C15, 1712, 1735 (both datestones), vestry 1865, restored 1870-1884 by H.M. Townsend, 1897 by Prothero. Tower and north transept approaching ashlar, coursed, roughly squared stone to part of nave, irregular-bond brickwork to south wall of nave; English garden wall bond brickwork to vestry, random rubble with ashlar dressings to chancel; stone slate roof. Nave and chancel not divided structurally; south porch and tower, north transept and vestry. Windows generally reticulated tracery. South front: nave, angled buttress to left, stone base to brick arch; MG 1735 carved on one brick by wall monument to J. Togwell, 1807. Two-light window, deep, splayed reveal: top of wall rebuilt to right late C19. To right porch, timber-framing on ashlar plinth, framing 2 panels high, rendered infill. Narrow panels each side opening in gable, cambered tie-beam over, close studding above, plain barge boards. Adjoining on right low tower, angle buttresses with wide projection, 3-light window, 2-light above, stone lintel, stone louvres, sundial, crenellated parapet. Right return, splay on right remains of stair turret. 1680 and mid C18 headstones against base of tower, 2 wall monuments above, one with drapery, cherubs' heads and hourglass over, other gadrooned base and plaque below only. Single-light opening to belfry, as south; stone chute for rainwater; crenellated parapet. 'WL/ RH Ch.War. 1712' on one crenel. Set back on right chancel, 1904 wall monument, 2-light window as nave. Chancel east 2-light window, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with cross. North face: plain wall on left; lean-to brick vestry, 2-light reset window on left return, 3-panel door (all vertical with blind tracery heads), cambered brick arch. Transept projects to right, plinth, 3 buttresses left return, fourth removed when vestry built, 2-light window between second and third. Gable plinth, 2-light window, wall extends into buttress each side, with disturbance on left - as if projecting one removed; gable faced stone slate. Right return as left, but 4 buttresses; late C20 boiler house and chimney against nave: north nave wall plain. West face, plinth, angled buttress, centre of wall rebuilt up to 3-light mullioned window, 4-centred heads to each light, stone lintel, relieving arch; parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Interior: porch, boarded door under arched head to tower; double, boarded door with 4-centred head to moulded surround to nave. Church, walls rendered. Nave, blocked opening in north wall, semi- circular early C18 arch to tower, plain impost blocks; cambered arch to north transept. Three-bay crown-post roof, collar purlin, collar rafters with slight braces, moulded wallplate and tie-beams. North transept 3-bay roof, 2 plain beams, Jacobethan-style moulded plaster ceiling between. South transept under tower: piscina, springers for vault on south side only. Chancel late C19 king-post roof. Unusual 1627 wall monument to Rev T. Banester; 1772 to Rev H. Windowe, marble, with scrolls each side and pediment over. Five late C18, early C19 wall monuments, including to E.J.Luttrell, with figure rising from split sarcophagus, greeted by angel with crown (1848). Octagonal timber pulpit on stem, blind tracery to sides. Top of-tower removed in 1712, stone used to remake west end of nave. Gallery removed in late C19. Main door moved to west end nave 1872, returned to south side with porch 1897. Forms group with Old Manor House and Staverton Lea Farmhouse (both q.v.). (Old photographs at N.M.R.; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; The Rev J.B.T. Homfray, St Catherine's Church, Staverton, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8900323598

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Homfray, Reverend J B T , St Catherine's Church Staverton, (1979)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 89003 23598

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304748 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 11:47:11.

End of official listing