This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CORN MILL APPROXIMATELY 80M SOUTH EAST OF OWLPEN MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CORN MILL APPROXIMATELY 80M SOUTH EAST OF OWLPEN MANOR

List entry Number: 1304814

Location

CORN MILL APPROXIMATELY 80M SOUTH EAST OF OWLPEN MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Owlpen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 133151

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 89 NW OWLPEN OWLPEN VILLAGE

6/359 Corn Mill approximately 80m south east of Owlpen Manor 23.6.52

GV II

Corn mill, now detached house. 1726. Coursed rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Three-storey with attic. West front: 2-window fenestration, all 3-light timber mullioned windows with leaded iron casements and timber lintels. Central doorway with plank doors and timber lintel; similar doorway to middle floor above. Central circular leaded window to upper floor. Plain gable end chimneys. Central ridge-mounted octagonal timber cupola with leaded glazing and weathervane; ogee lead top to rectangular base. Similar casement fenestration to rear. Interior: although converted to house, many original pieces of corn milling equipment remain including driving gear, gantry and sack traps. Continued in use up to 1914, then used to pump water to Owlpen House high on the escarpment. Mill pond with dam and sluice gates adjoins on east side. (C.N. Mander, Owlpen Manor, 1985)

Listing NGR: ST8008198334

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mander, C N, Owlpen Manor, (1985)

National Grid Reference: ST 80081 98334

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304814 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 05:27:23.

End of official listing