BACHELORS COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304827
Date first listed:
04-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
BACHELORS COURT, 21

Map

Ordnance survey map of BACHELORS COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:30:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
BACHELORS COURT, 21

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Sapperton
National Grid Reference:
SO9461603210

Details

SO 90 SW SAPPERTON SAPPERTON VILLAGE

1/106 No. 21 (Bachelors Court ) 4.6.52 (formerly listed as Cottage occupied by N. Jewson)

II

Former farmhouse, now house. Early C18. Rubble stone with Cotswold stone-slate roof. Main range set back from pathway with additional contemporary wing on left forming L-plan. Main range has one large stone gable stack to right, and one small brick gable stack to left. Steep pitched blind central gable to main range. 2 windows, 2-light wooden casements with lead lights. Ground floor has 2-light window to left, 3-light to right and central gabled porch built 1840 with chamfered 4-centred arched doorway. Interior contains some plasterwork and woodwork by Gimson: ground floor left-hand room has polygonal oak corner cupboard with wooden carved panel and inset date 1915, above and over doorway to left are small animal figures in plaster frieze. Fireplace in right- hand room on 1st floor has some small plaster motifs with date 1913 and entwined initials MJ. 2-storey wing to left has central brick stack and lobby entry with newel stair over fireplace, and 4 windows, similar to main range. This cottage was occupied for many years by Norman Jewson, pupil of Ernest Gimson, who came to Sapperton soon after Gimson and the Barnsley brothers. It was occupied until 1984 by his daughter, Nancy.

Listing NGR: SO9461603210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
128382
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].