BAGLAKE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO EAST FOR 26 METRES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1304834

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: BAGLAKE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO EAST FOR 26 METRES, BAGLAKE FARM

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAGLAKE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO EAST FOR 26 METRES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 20:57:04.

Location

Statutory Address: BAGLAKE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO EAST FOR 26 METRES, BAGLAKE FARM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Long Bredy

National Grid Reference: SY 55570 90581

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 59 SE LONG BREDY BAGLAKE FARM

1/152 Baglake Farmhouse and attached wall to east 26.1.56 for 26 metres

GV II*

Detached Farmhouse. C17 house, with south block totally refashioned in early C18 under ownership of William Light. Coursed, squared rubble-stone walls, with stone dressings. Plain clay tile roof with gable ends. Stone gable-copings with scroll kneelers. Brick stacks, C19 renewals, at gable-ends, and on ridge right of centre. South block, with 3 parallel rear wings having C17 evidence. South elevation: 2 storeys with attics. 7 windows, sashes with thin glazing-bars in recessed frames. Stone cills. Upper central window with a segmental head. East gable-wall has a single rectangular light with a small plank door. Front door at centre, with 6 fielded-panels, C20. Rusticated concrete architrave, C20. Wooden canopy with large scrolled brackets in C18 style. Rear wings: east wing with dentil brick cornice, c.C18, on east side. The rear wall has 2 cross-transom mullion windows with hollow chamfers, C17, possibly reset; metal casements with lozenge leaded lights, C20. Central wing with same window type. West wing with brickwork of c.1800. Interior: south block of 3 rooms' width with large central hall, flagged. Ceiling-beams roughly adzed. Two front rooms with complete bolection-moulded and fielded panelling. Integral alcove,, left of centre with shutters. Egg-and-dart surround to fielded-panel over fireplace. Fielded-panel window shutters, to ground and first floor rooms with window-seats. Attached boundary wall to east of house, rubble-stone base and chalk cob wall with a thatch coping. Door into garden with a plank and slatted door and wooden lintel over. (RCHM Dorset I, p.41 (3). C. J. Bailey, The Bride Valley (1982), p.39.))

Listing NGR: SY5557090581

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105272

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 41
Bailey, C J, The Bride Valley, (1982), 39

End of official listing