THE MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1304849

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: THE MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304849 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:10:46.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Chedworth

National Grid Reference: SP0514612067

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHEDWORTH CHEDWORTH VILLAGE SP 0512 10/60 The Manor (formerly listed as Manor 23.1.52 Farmhouse and Barn)

GV II

Former farmhouse, marked as Manor Farmhouse on the 6 inch O.S. map, possibly with medieval origins. The present house appears to mainly date from the C17 but was altered during the C18 and extended in the C19. Random roughly squared limestone with dressed stone quoins; stone slate roof; stacks restored C20 in squared and dressed limestone. 'L'-shaped C17 range with remains of an earlier range at right angles at rear adjoining a C17 kitchen range with some additional C19 service rooms. Main body: 2 storeys with a 3-windowed facade with. two raking buttresses to eaves height. Four 12-pane sashes with rebated dressed stone surrounds to the ground floor; three 3-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned casements with early fastenings to the first floor. Similar fenestration to the right gable end. Central early C20 four- panelled door with a dressed stone surround with an inscription 'UN ROI', UN LOI, UNE FOI' in raised letters on the lintel. Two and 3- light wooden casements to the ranges at the rear. Hipped roof to main body. Projecting first floor stack with corbels at the base at the left gable end of the main body; gable-end and axial stacks otherwise. Interior: C18 dog gate to spiral staircase in rear wall of the main body. Date 1776 with fleur de lys above crudely incised into plaster over the inner wall of the wine store on the ground floor. Single upper cruck truss in the range linking the main body to the kitchen range. Large open fireplace with bressumer, washing copper and early bread oven in the kitchen which contains beams with stepped stops. Roman altar piece with figure of god (possibly Esculapius) in relief built into the wall of the adjoining room (possibly from Chedworth Villa). Stone with Maltese cross in relief (probably from a medieval chapel which once stood at St John's Ashes nearby) is also built into the opposite wall. (V.C.H. Glos. Vol VII, p16)

Listing NGR: SP0514612067

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 131086

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 16

End of official listing