REMAINS OF ABBEY OF SS MARY BARBARA AND EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1304912
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF ABBEY OF SS MARY BARBARA AND EDMUND

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF ABBEY OF SS MARY BARBARA AND EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304912 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 02:07:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF ABBEY OF SS MARY BARBARA AND EDMUND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Marham
National Grid Reference:
TF 70721 09810

Details

TF 7009 MARHAM

9/25 Remains of Abbey of S.S. Mary, Barbara 8.7.59 and Edmund

_ II*

Remains of Cistercian Abbey. Dedicated 1249. Clunch with ashlar dressings. South wall of nave survives with 2 circular clerestory windows and part of third. Eastern window is quatrefoil, western sexfoil, both moulded, with pierced spandrels and within chamfered surrounds. Below clerestory on south is string course acting as drip mould for cloister roof, the supporting corbels of which survive. To west are remains of vaulted room, probably a narthex. One springer survives with ribs of roll and fillet mouldings. Scheduled ancient monument, County Number 209.

Listing NGR: TF7072109810

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221499
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01829/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].