CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1305018
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305018 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 18:35:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Thompson
National Grid Reference:
TL 92990 96946

Details

THOMPSON CHURCH LANE TL 9396

13/71 Church of St. Martin.

16.7.58 I

Parish church. First half C14, restored 1910-13 and 1974. Flint with ashlar dressings and pantiled roofs. West tower, nave, south chapel and chancel. Tower 3 stages. Tall base with bell mouldings and chequered knapped flushwork. Diagonal buttresses west, angle to east. West door 3 orders of wave mouldings under hood. 3-light reticulated window above containing subsidiary reticulated units. 2-light Y belfry windows. Flushwork battlements. South porch with triple niche under depressed arch. 4 buttresses to south nave, one 3-light intersecting Y window. Tall south chapel founded-1450 by Sir Thomas de Shardelow. 5-light panel traceried window under 4-centred arch. Chancel 2 3-light triple-lobed petal windows, tracery now blocked. Low priest's door below raised string course. Diagonal buttresses to east. 5-light east window similar but elaborated. North chancel has 2 3-light windows as south with lights also blocked. Toothed eaves cornice of brick. 4 north nave buttresses. 2 3-light intersecting windows. 2-light panel tracery window over north door. Interior with scissor braced roof and collars of 40 trusses. Complete set of poppyhead benches dated 1632 and 1625. Box pew of Futter family c.1630 panelled and carved. 2 cockshead hinges to door. South chapel screen c.1450 with blind cinquefoil arches below circled quatrefoils with shields. Tall 4-centred chapel arch with continuous hollow mouldings. Chancel screen c.1330. Lower part panelled and painted. Stencilling probably C15. Central gates survive below free standing gable with cusps and crocketts. Finial touches top rail. 2 2-light panels between compound stiles. Muntins circular with capitals and bases. Tracery in form of frieze of circles, with alternating mouchette wheel and spherical triangle decoration. Early C17 double-decker pulpit, panelled with some carving. Fine tester slightly later. Chancel stalls C15 and C17, some with misericords.c.1620 communion rail with turned balusters. Continuous sedilia and piscina under hood : moulded piers support cusped ogee arches with elaborate mouldings. Carved representations of Green Man in spandrels. Chancel roof has principals on braces and collars dated R.F. 1648 (Robert Futter). C14 octagonal font with traceried panels. Early C14 south door with flower trail border and original lock complete with ring plate. Bell frame in tower arch braced, probably pre-Reformation. Building of national importance for interior woodwork.

Listing NGR: TL9299096946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220108
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06669/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].