SOUTH WEST CLASSROOMS AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1305034
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1973
Statutory Address:
SOUTH WEST CLASSROOMS AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL, ABBEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH WEST CLASSROOMS AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305034 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:47:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTH WEST CLASSROOMS AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL, ABBEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Sherborne
National Grid Reference:
ST 63741 16498

Details

ABBEY ROAD 1. 1625 (South East Side) South West Classrooms at Sherborne School ST 6316 1/277 II GV 2. 1869 to 70. W H Slater and R H Carpenter, architects. This block extends south wards along Abbey Road from First War Memorial extension to the Chapel. 2 storeys, 5 window bays, 3 more closely spaced. Stone slate roof. Stone front. Moulded eaves cornice. String courses. Lower string-courses on east side set higher, marking a place for which an extension originally planned. Upper windows with gables over. 3-lights, 2-tiers ground floor on west side from left to right hand has 4-light windows, doorway with pointed head and square dripmould, and at south end 2 three-light windows with four-light window in centre. To first floor in south gable end, 2-tier 5-light window.

The following buildings of Sherborne School surround the greens immediately to the north of the Abbey Church of St Mary and form a group with themselves and with the Abbey Church of St Mary.

Listing NGR: ST6374216499

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103827
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14760/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alec Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].