This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MORSE MONUMENT, IN THE CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH EAST CORNER OF SOUTH AISLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MORSE MONUMENT, IN THE CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH EAST CORNER OF SOUTH AISLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1305039

Location

MORSE MONUMENT, IN THE CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH EAST CORNER OF SOUTH AISLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newent

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 125656

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 7225-7325 NEWENT CHURCH STREET (north side)

13/124 Morse monument, in the churchyard about 4m south-east of south-east corner of south aisle, Church of St. Mary

GV II

Chest tomb; probably second half C18; stone. Flat lid, simply moulded edge. South side plain, with incised line as margin, scalloped corners with paterae; north side raised panel with acanthus moulding, indented segmental ends, rococo carving outside. Ends elongated pilasters, west coat of arms in rococo surround, carved decoration to narrow ends. East end plain, probably originally as west, but weathered. Moulded plinth on wider, rectangular base. Commemorates Morse on north side, inscription weathered; Goode on south, 1838 and 1841.

Listing NGR: SO7237125944

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 72371 25944

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305039 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:56:24.

End of official listing