CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1305101

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 15:57:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Tarrant Gunville

National Grid Reference: ST 92519 12670

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TARRANT GUNVILLE ST 9212 -

9/35 Church of St Mary 14.7.55 GV II*

Parish church, nave, aisles and south porch of late C14 origin, west tower C15, partially rebuilt C16. Remainder of church and general restoration 1843 to 1845. C19 work by T H Wyatt. Flint with random squared rubble blocks, banded flint and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone copings. Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch and north vestry. Fenestration:medieval and C19 work generally in the Perpendicular style, of 2 lights with square heads and labels with carved stops. The east chancel window is of 3 lights under a pointed head. The north and south chancel walls have lancets. Weathered buttresses, some original, in various locations. Interlaced round-headed wall arcading reset in north aisle. 3 stage tower with battered plinth and embattled parapet separated by weathered strings, that to parapet bearing gargoyles; C19 octagonal vice turret north; diagonal buttresses to first 2 stages, pilaster strips above; 2-light, pointed belfry windows. Gabled south porch with pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders with pointed cinque- foiled niche above; inscribed sundial to right of door. Nave has clerestorey with 2-light windows.

Internally: the C19 arcades of 5 bays have pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on circular piers with moulded capitals. C19 pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders on rounded responds with moulded capitals. Pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered orders on polygonal responds with moulded capitals. C19 traceried king post and tie-beam roof to nave. Chancel has C19 scissor-truss. C19 traceried pulpit. C19 octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panels. Some early glass reset. C18 and C19 monuments. C19 stencilled chancel decoration. Other fittings largely C19/20. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV, p.88-90, no.1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, p.416/7.)

Listing NGR: ST9251912670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103663

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 88-90
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 416-417

End of official listing