CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305141

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305141 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 17:00:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Winterborne Houghton

National Grid Reference: ST 82029 04398

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINTERBORNE HOUGHTON ST 80 SW -

6/104 Church of St Andrew 14-7-55 - II

Parish church, 1861 by T H Wyatt. Flint with random rubble, banded brick and flint, part rendered, tiled roofs. Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north aisle and vestry. North arcade now blocked to form parish room in former aisle. Embattled 2 stage tower has a pointed west window of 3-lights and Perpendicular tracery. Above are twin lancets. Belfry has 2-light square- headed Perpendicular windows with returned labels. All other windqws are Cl9 with Perpendicular tracery and have square, pointed or segmental-pointed heads and are of 1, 2 or 3 lights. Gabled south porch. Plank door with wrought-iron strap hinges.

Internal features: 3 bay, blocked, stilted, segmental pointed arcade on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases; pointed chancel arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders, the innermost of which dies into the responds; tower arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into the responds; nave has hammer beam roof with arch-braced collars, king-posts and struts; chancel has wagoon roof; C15 font with octagonal bowl, with quatrefoil panels enclosing leaf carving all on an octagonal stem; other fittings largely C19. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.III, p.297, no. 1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.481. )

Listing NGR: ST8202904398

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103380

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 297
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 481

End of official listing