This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

VALENTINE STRONG MOMUMENT, ABOUT 11 METRES SOUTH WEST OF SOUTH PORCH IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VALENTINE STRONG MOMUMENT, ABOUT 11 METRES SOUTH WEST OF SOUTH PORCH IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1305142

Location

VALENTINE STRONG MOMUMENT, ABOUT 11 METRES SOUTH WEST OF SOUTH PORCH IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fairford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 129700

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD HIGH STREET (west side)

13/144 Valentine Strong Monument, about llm south west of south porch in churchyard of Church of St. Mary

GV II*

Bale tomb. Valentine Strong, died 1662, freemason. Spiral bale top with shell west end and skull with wings on east end, heavy gadrooned capping, moulded plinth on base. Ends have high relief cartouche and oval panel, with date and initials to east. South side has deeply recessed plain central panel and flanking recessed panels with large compressed acanthus scrolls. North side has central flush panel with slate inscription stone inserted, and flanking deeply recessed panels with feather or leaf design in form of crown, over ball flower carving. In very good condition. Valentine Strong was the designer in 1661 of Fairford Park, built for Andrew Barker and demolished 1955, and father of masons Thomas Strong and Edward Strong, both of whom worked on the rebuilt St. Paul's Cathedral in London. (VCH: Gloucestershire, Vol VII, 1981)



Listing NGR: SP1514101140

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981)

National Grid Reference: SP 15141 01140

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 12:34:34.

End of official listing