This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1305230

Location

OLD RECTORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Elkstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127223

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 91 SE ELKSTONE ELKSTONE VILLAGE 3/123 Old Rectory (previously listed as Rectory) 4.6.52 II

Former rectory, now large country house. Early C18; back partly rebuilt 1847 by Francis Niblett; late C20 loggia. Limestone ashlar; imitation ashlar render to loggia; concrete interlocking tile roof. 3-storey with cellar; double pile. Front of 3 storeys and 5 windows with central projecting single-storey porch; all windows are round headed and all have original early C18 9-pane sashes, the upper leaf of each with round head; rusticated architraves with keystone linked to plain band above; keystones to top floor windows link with modillion eaves cornice; spaced rusticated quoins to match windows; porch doorway is round-headed with plain architraves, keystone and imposts; 6-panel fielded door with fanlight over to match windows; rusticated Tuscan pilasters; very small round-headed 2-pane sashes with matching architraves to sides of porch. Ashlar chimneys with unmoulded caps at back of front range. Back range projects beyond front at north end; parapet gables to both side elevations, those to back range having ridge-mounted ashlar chimney stacks with unmoulded caps; at south end of back range a 4-light recessed chamfered mullioned window with hoodmould to cellar, presumably a survival from earlier house. Back elevation of 3 storeys and 5 windows, the outer windows being 2-storey rectangular bays with tripartite window to each floor and C19 sashes; three 9-pane sashes with plain architraves and one 6- pane to top floor; 2 sashes to middle floor; projecting rectangular loggia to ground floor has moulded cornice to parapet roof and plain central opening flanked by unglazed window openings; reached by flight of steps; 9-pane sashes to cellar. Interior remodelled in C19. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SO9676612309

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 96769 12312

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305230 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 06:19:36.

End of official listing