Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305246

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CROWNDALE


Ordnance survey map of CROWNDALE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305246 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 06:16:55.


Statutory Address: CROWNDALE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Tavistock

National Grid Reference: SX4733372683


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SX 47 SE 6/122 21.3.67



Farmhouse. Circa 1830 with some later alterations. Rendered stone rubble with low pitched hipped slate roof with overhanging eaves. Stack to left side. Double depth plan with central entrance hall with stair to rear, later 2-storey rear service wing to left. 2 storeys, symmetrical front with. 3 windows, at first floor all 12-pane sashes, ground floor 16-pane sash right and left, all in plain granite surrounds.Central 4- panelled door and overlight with glazing bars and original porch with rendered side walls supporting a vestigial entablature. Left return has two 4-pane sashes at ground floor; right return has 2 similar first floor sashes, at ground floor two 16- pane sashes and 6-pane sash; step back to rear wing, lower roof line, also hipped, with small single-storey addition to rear. Rear has 2 similar first floor sashes, C20 window at ground floor right, porch in angle with door and two 6-pane lights, rear wing has plate glass window at ground and first floor with brick dressings. Interior not inspected. The earlier house at Crowndale (demolished) was the birth place of Sir Francis Drake, 1542. The farm was formerly part of the Duke of Bedford's Estate.

Listing NGR: SX4733372683


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 94022

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing