This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1305337



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Heydon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-May-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 228713

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/54 Church of St Peter 10-5-61 and St Paul


Parish church. Fabric mainly C14 and C15 with C19 additions. Flint with limestone dressings. Lead roofs; north porch pantiled. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch, north aisle, north porch, mortuary chapel on north side of chancel. C15 square west tower in galleted flint; diagonal staged buttresses with string courses at off-sets. Polygonal stair turret with quatrefoil lights on south side. West doorway has traceried spandrels with shields; 2-leaf traceried west door. Square panel with shields above. 4-light west window with quatrefoil in head. Square traceried sound openings with shields. 3-light bell openings with cusped intersecting tracery. Embattled parapet on coved string course; octagonal angle piers with crocketted pinnacles. C14 3-light west windows to aisles. Nave clerestorey of four 2-light C15 windows with quatrefoils in square surrounds between openings; the easternmost quatrefoil smaller and glazed. 3-light C15 windows to south aisle with staged buttresses dividing bays on south wall. C15 2- storey south porch with 2-light square-headed east and west windows unglazed. Tierceron-vaulted ceiling on renewed corner shafts, bosses at intersections. Parapet gable with diagonal buttresses and 2-light upper window. South wall of chancel has two 3-light C15 windows with segmental brick arches. Priest's door to west of central buttress. Nave and chancel gables parapeted with cross-finials and moulded kneelers. Restored 5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery; below the cill, three pedimented panels with memorial tablets to the Bulwer family. On the north side of the chancel, the Bulwer mortuary chapel of 1864. North porch C14 with single light east and west windows with cusped heads and square drip moulds. Parapet gable with much brick in apex. Roll-moulded arch with engaged shafts; doorway blocked in brick. Interior: C15 roofs to nave and chancel; roll-moulded principals and purlins with bosses at intersections, arch-braced ridge pendants with star-bosses. Alternate arch braces from rafters onto wallposts and head corbels. Moulded and decorated cornice. Arch-braced aisle roofs with traceried spandrels. C14 north and south arcades of four bays, quatrefoil piers with keeled fillets and double-chamfered arches. Polygonal capitals. Screen, donated 1480 by John Dynne, retains much original colour, decoration and lettering, tall one-light divisions, cusped arches with flower-finials; restored cornice. C15 pulpit on wineglass stem set on a section of stone octagonal shaft with fleuron decoration; C17 backboard with relief carving of the Last Supper, octagonal tester. Pulpit hexagonal with traceried panels. C17 family box-pew at east end of nave, against screen. Chancel has blocked doorway in north wall with much-repaired recess to east. Piscina with cusped head in south-east corner. Dropped-cill sedilia. Communion rail with twisted balusters. C17 and C18 memorial slabs in chancel floor, including brass inscription to Dorothy, daughter of John and Frances Castell (d.1618). In the east end of the north aisle, a massive memorial slab to Erasmus Earle, 1690 surrounded by iron railings. Cartouche on north wall above gives the date of Earle's death as 1667. Good wall monument to John Steward Bachelour (d.1708) on north side of tower arch. South-east chapel has piscina with cusped head and petalled bowl; early C17 panelled reredos, re-used. C14 wall paintings on north aisle wall and in south-east chapel. Font C13, a large round tub on an octagonal base.

Listing NGR: TG1140027405

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 11400 27405


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305337 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 09:10:49.

End of official listing