CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1305341

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:06:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean (District Authority)

Parish: Churcham

National Grid Reference: SO 76859 18204

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 71 NE CHURCHAM CHURCH LANE

11/15 Church of St. Andrew

23.9.55

GV II*

Parish church; C12, 14/15C, 1878: Nave and tower random rubble, with large, squared quoins: chancel mixed squarish and flat stone, with ashlar buttresses: tiled roof to nave, shingles to spire, slates to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Tower in 3 stages, marked by slight offsets in wall: 4 lancets, lower 3 round-headed, top pointed. Above shingled gables on each face, with a helm roof above, terminating in an iron cross. Louvred, 2-light square-headed openings in each gable. Nave: gabled porch off- centre to left: pointed arch to opening, hoodmould with floriate stops, wrought-iron gates. Parapet gable, with cube set diagonally on apex, as sundial, gnomon on 3 faces; ball finial. 2-light windows in side walls. Porch covers south door, semi-circular moulded arch on C19 columns within C19 trefoil-head to doorway, with plain tympanum. Low, plain plinth to rear; to left of porch 3-light Perpendicular window, like all on south side without hoodmould. Jamb of blocked opening to right visible over porch roof. To right of porch 2-light reticulated-tracery window, with, to its left, jamb and part of arch of C12 window, surviving stones moulded, capital with volute. Gable parapets, apex cross at east end. Plain plinth to chancel, diagonally-set buttress at east end. 2-light geometric tracery window on left, boarded priest's door just right of centre, no hoodmould. North door to nave C19 rebuild of C12 opening; above a carved stone, said to be C3 A.D., a standing figure, arms raised as in prayer, circles with 4 spokes to left and right, all under a curved arch. Interior, plain plaster to walls. Wide, semi-circular arch to tower, springing from abacus. Chancel arch 2 columns each side with cushion capitals, moulded arches above. 3-bay roof, crown- post trusses on wall posts, with braces, half trusses between. Chancel, eastern end late C19 Jacobean-style panelling to 2 m: open, scissor-braced rafter roof. Octagonal stone font, 1884; leaves to bowl, supported on grotesques, with cinquefoil-headed panelling to stem, leaves and flowers on base. Two C18 wall monuments, 2 Norman revival wall monuments in chancel, 1842 and 1843. Plain piscina by pulpit in nave. Heavily restored by Waller and Son in 1878 following a fire. Forms group with Churcham Court. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).

Listing NGR: SO7685918204

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 125548

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing