CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1305356
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305356 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 12:26:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
North Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Iwerne Courtney or Shroton
National Grid Reference:
ST 84158 15080

Details

ST 81 NW IWERNE COURTNEY OR SHROTON FARRINGTON

1/93 Church of St John 14-7-55 the Baptist

GV II Chapel of Ease, possible of medieval origin though extensively rebuilt in 1856 and restored 1899. Rough ashlar with ashlar dressings. Roof of tiles and stone- slates. West-gable bellcote dated l839 (RCHM). Simple rectangular plan in the 'Perpendicular' style. Pointed east window of 3 lights under stopped label. North wall has 2 2-light square headed windows. The south wall has a pointed 2-light square-headed, window yo the east and to the west 2 single light square headed windows flanking a pointed, roll-moulded doorway. The roof is a ribbed, plastered barrel vault. Fittings removed (RCHM, Dorset vol III, p 127/8, no 2).

Listing NGR: ST8415815080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103181
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 127-128

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07270/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Fitzgerald. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].