METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305359

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: METHODIST CHURCH, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:52:17.

Location

Statutory Address: METHODIST CHURCH, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Witheridge

National Grid Reference: SS 80418 14460

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITHERIDGE WEST STREET (south side), SS 81 SW Witheridge 9/100 Methodist Church - GV II Chapel. Main part with a datestone to the gable face: "1839". Addition a schoolroom with a datestone on the gable face: "1900". Main part of rubble, rendered and scribed to resemble ashlar, gabled slate roof with wide eaves bracketted on the gable face, addition of snecked rubble-gabled slate roof. Plan and development: rectangular chapel with a lean-to porch added to the front, Sunday-school wing added at right angles to the front. Exterior: main entrance front with a late C19 segmental-headed opening, 9-pane fixed light casement on first floor. Porch on ground floor with a lean-to corrugated iron roof, 2 lancets with stained glass, semi-circular head door opening, plank door. Addition at right angles to tnis main range of 2 storeys square-headed and semi-circular head multi-pane windows. Interior: was refitted in the late C19 with pine pews, pulpit on a dais, readers and balustrading in a simple but well executed style. The schoolroom with a late C19 chimneypiece with cast-iron grate; late C19 joinery including doors and surrounds. Main hall with an ornamental plaster ceiling centre and a painted text to wall.

Listing NGR: SS8041814460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 97509

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing