This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1305371

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sustead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 223289

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUSTEAD BESSINGHAM TG 13 NE 5/48 Church of St.Mary 4:10:60 - II* Parish church. Medieval, extensively restored in C19, the tower being restored during re-survey. Flint, ironbound conglomerate. Tile roof. Cll west tower, nave, south porch, continuous chancel. Embattled round tower of random conglomerate and flint. Small round-headed opening to west. Blocked slit lights to north and south. Twin triangular-headed bell-openings with conglomerate imposts and central shafts. Nave has conglomerate quoins to north west and south west corners. Walling to the south probably re-faced in restoration of 1869, the north east quoins of the earlier church are visible, the wall extended eastwards or re-faced in 1869. 3 restored square-headed 2- light windows to south, 2 with ogee cusped lights; one with panel tracery. One similar window of C19. To north, doorway with continuous chamfer; undercut hood mould with decorated stops. C19 trefoil over. C19 3-light east window. Buttressed south porch of knapped flint. Single cusped light to east and west. Shafts with castellated abaci; ovolo to arch; wave to continuous inner and outer orders. Niche over with brick jambs and stone head. C19 round-headed doorway to nave. Interior. Tall round-headed tower arch with imposts. Triangular-headed opening over. C19 roof. Some re-used bench ends. Stoup beside south door. C19 piscina. Plain octagonal font on octagonal shafts.

Listing NGR: TG1668137055

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 16681 37055

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:13:43.

End of official listing