CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1305380

Date first listed: 16-Aug-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:52:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Fontmell Magna

National Grid Reference: ST 86540 16985

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FONTWELL MAGNA 8/52

shall be ammended to read:

FONTMELL MAGNA

------------------------------------ ST 8616 FONTWELL MAGNA CHURCH STREET (West Side)

8/52 Church of St Andrew 16-8-60 GV II*

Parish Church, west tower of C15 origin, remainder 1862 and later possibly incor- porating some original fabric. 1862 work by G Evans of Wimborne for Sir Richard Glyn. Coursed rubble and ashlar with lead roofs. Plan: nave; chancel; north and south aisles; west tower, north vestry, south porch. C15 and C19 work in the Perpendicular style. Tower: 4 stages separated by weathered strings: top stage entirely C19; diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with string bearing gargoyles and surmounted by crochetted pinnacles; moulded 4-centred west door; 3-light west window with pointed head and label with carved stops; rectangular loops to second stage; third stage has C15 pointed 2-light windows with original labels with carved stops; fourth stage has paired rectangular lights with labels with head stops. Remainder of church has a parapet of solid quatrefoils with openwork panelling above. A section of this over the north aisle is C16 (said to be dated 1530), rest is C19. Some panels bear carved decoration. Below is a string course with gargoyles. North aisle has 4 reset, pointed C15 2-light windows. Vestry has a single-light window with traceried head and returned label. The chancel has a 5-light east window with 4-centred head and returned label with carved stops. The south wall of the chancel has 2 segmental-headed, 2-light windows with labels having head stops. These flank a pointed, moulded door with ogee label terminating in a carved finial. The south aisle has pointed east and west wall windows of 3 lights with stopped labels. South wall has 3-light square headed window with 4-centred tracery arch and stopped label. Other windows are square-headed of 2 and 3 lights with stopped label. South porch has moulded, pointed arch with respond shafts and carved capitals.

4 bay, pointed, moulded arcades on piers with 4 applied shafts and elaborately carved C19 capitals by Boulton. Pointed, moulded chancel arch. Pointed, moulded tower arch. Nave and chancel have C19 hammer-beam roofs springing from carved corbels. Beamed aisle roofs. C19 carved stone pulpit by Blentham with carved figures of the 4 Evangelists. C19 encaustic tiles. C12 font with cauldron shaped bowl with scrolls and birds carved in high relief. C20 pews with traceried ends. C16 tower screen with mixture of gothic and early renaissance detail. C17 and C18 reset wall monuments. (RCHM, Dorset, Vol IV, p 22/3, no 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England, Dorset 1972, p 207/8. Brocklebank, Joan, Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856-1880, 1979)

Listing NGR: ST8654016985

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103140

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing