BATTISHILL CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1305384
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
BATTISHILL CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, DRAYDOWN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BATTISHILL CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305384 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 08:27:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
BATTISHILL CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, DRAYDOWN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Spreyton
National Grid Reference:
SX6975296715

Details

SX 69 NE 1/268

SPREYTON DRAYDOWN HILL, Spreyton Battishall chest tomb approximately 4 metres south of Chancel of Church of St Mary

GV II

Chest tomb. Dated 1733 in memory of William Battishill. Red brick with grey basalt lid. Rectangular in section with plain sides apart from a central projecting string course and soffit-chamfered cornice it has a plain flat lid. The top is inscribed with Roman serif upper and lower case lettering and records the death of William Battishill in 1733. A secondary slate plaque on the north side is inscribed with similar lettering and records the deaths of another William, nephew of the above, in 1760 and his wife Mary in 1778. 1733 is an unusually early use of brick for this part of Devon.

Listing NGR: SX6975296715

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
95076
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12313/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Stella Beavan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].