Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305463.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 23:09:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
TG 35490 16553


HORNING CHURCH ROAD TG 31 NE 8/47 Church of St. Benedict 16.4.55 G.V. II*

Parish church. C13 nave, aisles and chancel, all remodelled C14. Bequests for tower 1490 and 1524. North aisle demolished 1721. Restored 1874. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 3 stage west tower with stepped diagonal buttresses. Flushwork in plinth course. 3-light Perpendicular west window. Square ringing chamber sound holes with 4 petal tracery (set diagonally). String courses between stages. 2-light cusped reticulated belfry windows below crenellated parapet. Stairs to south-east. 2-light reticulated aisle west window. Aisle with diagonal corner buttresses. Gabled south porch entered through chamfered and hollow chamfered doorway. Cusped side lights. Multiply wave moulded inner south door. 3 square-headed 2-light south aisle windows. 4 similar 2-light clerestory windows to north and south. Perpendicular 3-light aisle east window. 2 south chancel 2-light windows, one Perpendicular with 4-centred arch, the other reticulated and arched. Stepped side buttress and diagonal east buttresses. Chamfered Priest's door with dog tooth hood mould survives from C13 build. 3-light C19 Perpendicular east window. Lean-to vestry against chancel north wall. To west a 2-light Perpendicular window as before. North nave arcades blocked and re-set with 3 2-light ogeed windows. Chamfered north door. Interior. 4 bay octagonal C14 south arcade with moulded bases and capitals supporting double chamfered arches. 4 bay circular C13 arcade embedded in north nave wall. Circular moulded capitals under chamfered arches. Clerestory windows over apexes of arches. Tall tower arch with jamb mouldings of bowtell and casements. Polygonal responds. Double chamfered chancel arch on circular responds and polygonal capitals. 4-centred rood stair doorway in south pier leads to steps. Nave roof 1874 : arched braces to collars on false hammerbeams, the hammerbeams supported on further arched braces dropping to crenellated C19 corbels. Similar south aisle roof. Rectangular cusped piscina in south aisle. Early C14 octagonal font. Splayed stem with annulated columns. Panels of bowl alternate between paired trefoiled arches and cusped squares. Billet crenellations above. Several C16 poppyhead bench ends in nave. 4 C16 chancel stall bench ends with lively figurative or animal carvings : a Pelican, a scene of devils forcing souls into the jaws of Hell, writhing snakes persecuting lost souls in an unpleasant manner. Good figurative arm rests. Renewed cusped piscina. Chancel roof as nave.

Listing NGR: TG3549016553


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04133/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Laurie A. Saunders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].