REMAINS OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING TOWER AND PORCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305482

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING TOWER AND PORCH, PETER'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING TOWER AND PORCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305482 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:21:05.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING TOWER AND PORCH, PETER'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Frocester

National Grid Reference: SO 77105 03270

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 70 SE FROCESTER PETER'S STREET (west side)

1/116 Remains of former Church of St Peter including tower and porch

GV II

Remains of former parish church. Medieval with C15 porch, tower rebuilt 1849 by Francis Niblett. Random rubble limestone base walls; ashlar porch with plain tile roof. Coursed rubble limestone tower with ashlar spire. Outline of church retained in low walls; south porch and north tower surviving. Tower: 2-stage with narrow trefoil side windows and moulded pointed north doorway. Projecting stair turret on west side with blocked doorway. Two- light lancet belfry openings with stone louvres. Broach spire with lucarnes to cardinal faces. Bold stone finial with weathercock. Parapet gabled south porch with 4-light side windows having central king mullion. Diagonal buttresses to front wall with plain pointed archway. Wagon roof internally. C20 coping to cut-down church walls. Gravel surface within . Church demolished in 1952, stone being used to build Wycliffe College chapel in Stonehouse. (N.M. Herbert, 'Frocester' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 170-178; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1976)

Listing NGR: SO7710503270

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132910

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972), 170-78
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing