FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOL-HOUSE NOW OFFICES AND WORKSHOP TO VALLEY FARMERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1305510
Date first listed:
14-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOL-HOUSE NOW OFFICES AND WORKSHOP TO VALLEY FARMERS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOL-HOUSE NOW OFFICES AND WORKSHOP TO VALLEY FARMERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 02:32:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOL-HOUSE NOW OFFICES AND WORKSHOP TO VALLEY FARMERS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Witheridge
National Grid Reference:
SS 80260 14574

Details

WITHERIDGE CHURCH STREET (south side), SS 81 SW Witheridge 9/117 Former school and school-house 29.12.75 now offices and workshop to Mole Valley Farmers GV II School. 2 datestones, to right gable face:- "1846" marking the date of first construction, to left:- "1898" marking the date of addition. Random rubble, slate roofs with wide eaves to gable ends, stone bellcote on the ridge to the right. Plan and development: 2 storey school-house to the right with an attached 1 storey schoolroom. Loose Tudor style. Exterior: 1 and 2 storeys, 2:1:1:1:2 windows, asymmetrical front. 2-bayed school- house to the right, 2-light stone-mullioned and transomed windows, each light with a diamond-paned cast-iron casement, between the windows a 4-centred arch door opening, now blocked. Single-storey schoolroom to right in conforming style to left with 3 shallow front facing gabled wings, 2-light stone-mullioned windows, 1 blocked. Iron casements; 1 large. 3-light window. Interior: now much stripped of detail, used for offices and workshop.

Listing NGR: SS8026014576

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
97478
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09281/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Downes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].