CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305516

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PETER'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 04:53:22.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PETER'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Frocester

National Grid Reference: SO 78479 03226

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 7803 FROCESTER PETER'S STREET (north side)

9/114 Church of St Andrew

10.1.55

II

Former chapel of ease, now parish church. Nave roof dated 1637, remainder reconstructed late C17; extensive rebuilding 1896-7. Coursed rubble limestone; stone slate roof. Nave without aisles; chancel. Rather plain nave with parapet gabled ends, east with C17 bellcote. Late C19 moulded pointed arched south doorway towards west end has attached jamb shafts. Offset buttresses divide nave into 3 bays, 2 with 2-light square headed windows having trefoil tracery heads and thin hoodmoulds. Three-light Perpendicular style west window. Lower chancel has similar windows to south side: small reset C12 window to north and Tudor arched doorway with 2- light window above. Perpendicular east window is late C19. Interior: walls are unplastered to nave, all apparently C19. Panelled nave barrel roof has moulded ribbing and carved bosses, all said to be survival from C17. C19 moulded pointed chancel arch. Jacobean hexagonal pulpit. Bowl font with tall octagonal base is recorded from 1680. Reset memorial stone to west end inscribed to IOHANNIS : HUNTLEY, died 1622. Some good stained glass, small Norman window has glass signed by G. Taylor of Berners Street. South chancel window by Maile & Son, Euston Road, London. Church fell into state of ruin when Church of St Peter (q.v.) became main village church in 1849. (N.M. Herbert, 'Frocester' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 170-178; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1976)

Listing NGR: SO7847903226

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132908

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972), 170-8
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing