RODBOROUGH FORT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1305531
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
RODBOROUGH FORT

Map

Ordnance survey map of RODBOROUGH FORT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305531.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 01:04:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
RODBOROUGH FORT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Rodborough
National Grid Reference:
SO 84897 04075

Details

SO 80 SW RODBOROUGH

4/89 Rodborough Fort

GV II

Detached house. Mostly 1870; extensive mid C20 restoration. Random rock-faced rubble limestone; artificial stone; ashlar dressings. Two-storey with 4-storey tower on south west side; 2 rear wings. Two sets of curtain walls with various outbuildings to south west and north east (q.v.). South west: asymmetrical with central tower having Tudor arched doorway with hoodmould and double plank doors; chamfered cross window to each tower storey on each tower face, all with hoodmoulds. Continuous dripmoulds to tower and main block; upper part of tower rendered with machicolated and crenellated parapet; circular stair turret at east corner of tower projects above crenellated parapet. Cross windows to main block left of tower, narrow transomed windows to right with iron casements. Crenellated parapet as to tower. North west: symmetrical front, 3 window fenestration, central being canted 2- storey bay. Flanking cross windows: continuous dripmoulds and crenellated parapet. Small circular turret projects at upper level of north corner. North east: largely rebuilt in mid C20 with artificial stone. Three window fenestration all C20 cross-windows; crenellated parapet. South east: two asymmetrical wings, left with hipped roof set behind parapet of south west elevation; right wing is end of north east facing range. Part of curtain wall adjoins at corner to left (q.v). Interior not inspected. Originally built as a folly for Captain Hawker in 1761, enlarged with the construction of house in 1870 for Alexander Holcombe. Stands on lofty eminence above Stroud town and a very important landscape feature. (N.M. Herbert, 'Rodborough' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 218-234; and B. Jones, Follies and Grottoes, 1974)

Listing NGR: SO8489704075

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
131964
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, B, Follies and Grottoes, (1974)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].