CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305556 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 01:52:27.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- Duntisbourne Abbots
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 97080 07896
SO 9607-9707 DUNTISBOURNE ABBOTS DUNTISBOURNE ABBOTS VILLAGE
9/45 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C12 with C13 fenestration; C13 chancel and C15 tower; south aisle added by Waller & Son in 1872 restoration. Random rubble and dressed limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with north and south aisles; chancel, west tower and south porch; vestry to north of chancel. Tower of 2 stages with parapet gables to saddleback roof; C13 2-light west window with hoodmould; small lancet to south in Norman opening; square-headed bell openings to 3 faces of belfry, each with quatrefoil-pierced stone grille. North aisle with lean-to roof: C14 2-light to west and very large quoins in north west corner; 2 paired C13 windows with trefoil heads in square openings face north. Double pitcned roof to south aisle with re-erected Early English south doorway with hoodmould and repositioned south porch: pierced cross porch vent in square opening over pointed arch; brass memorial shield to Anthony Sly, dated 1736, mounted to left of porch arch; stone sundial above vent; stone seats inside each with small lancet above in side wall; C19 roof. South aisle has paired, very plain lancets in south wall, and a paired lancet with hoodmould in west end wall; single lancet in east with quatrefoil in tracery over trefoil head; single buttress with offsets to south wall. East window to chancel is 2-light with plate tracery; single trefoil-headed lancet in north wall, 2 in south; clasping buttress at south east corner. North vestry has shouldered arched doorway and single trefoil-headed lancet facing east. All gables have parapets with cross-gablet saddles and trefoil-headed side panels. Interior was completely scraped in 1872 restoration and now has ribbon-pointed masonry. 2-bay north and south nave arcades: the north is Transitional, the single cylindrical column having a scalloped capital; matching C19 arcade to south. Late Norman tower arch with plain abaci to piers. Chancel arch is triplet by Waller: base walls with chamfered corners and pyramid stops below side arches support paired granite columns with crocket capitals, trefoil heads to side arches. 4-bay nave root with king-post. trusses and curved wind braces; wagon roof in south aisle with corbel table above arcade. Pointed arched openings from south aisle and chancel into organ chamber. Raised stone floor is chancel; walls plastered late C20; C19 3-bay roof with arched braced collar-trusses and curved wind braces; round arched doorway into vestry. Square-headed aumbry in east chancel wall; pedestal piscina in south at very low level due to raising of floor in C19. Flat-fronted C19 stone lecturn in nave; Medieval stone coffin in north aisle, and square-headed aumbry in north wall; very small aumbry in south wall at east end of aisle; circular Norman stone font in south aisle with carved trilobed foliage to bowl in low relief; south door is possibly Medieval with C15 closing ring; some C19 memorial tablets especially at west end of nave. Stained glass to all windows by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake of 1878 causes a very dark interior. Originally a possession of St. Peter's Abbey, Gloucester. Commanding position in village. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; A. Carver, The Story of Duntisbourne Abbots, 1966.)
Listing NGR: SO9708007896
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Carver, A, The Story of Duntisbourne Abbots, (1966)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.