MAIN BUILDING TO GREAT CHESTERFORD RAILWAY STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305565

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Feb-1980

Statutory Address: MAIN BUILDING TO GREAT CHESTERFORD RAILWAY STATION, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN BUILDING TO GREAT CHESTERFORD RAILWAY STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305565 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:15:29.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIN BUILDING TO GREAT CHESTERFORD RAILWAY STATION, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Great Chesterford

National Grid Reference: TL 50481 42431

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT CHESTERFORD LONDON ROAD 1. 5222 Main building to Great Chesterford railway station (formerly listed as Railway Station) TL 5042 28/797 1.9.71

II

2. Built circa 1845 by Francis Thompson, railway architect of the early C19, whose work (mainly in the north midlands) includes, notably, Chester station. In 1845 "The Builder" attributed both Great Chesterford and Audley End stations to Francis Thompson. A rectangular yellow gault brick building with a parapet, stucco band and elemental cornice. Two storeys. Five window range on both the approach and platform fronts, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain stucco architraves with simple cornices. The ground storey windows have been altered with horizontal glazing bars. The north and south ends each has one window range. The platform has a C20 canopy without a fascia, on original "gallows" angle brackets with moulded pendants.

Listing NGR: TL5048142431

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 121903

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1845)

End of official listing