GARDEN WALL AND STATUE TO EAST OF HIGHNAM COURT, RUNNING UP TO BILLIARD ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305671

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: GARDEN WALL AND STATUE TO EAST OF HIGHNAM COURT, RUNNING UP TO BILLIARD ROOM

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARDEN WALL AND STATUE TO EAST OF HIGHNAM COURT, RUNNING UP TO BILLIARD ROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 00:22:17.

Location

Statutory Address: GARDEN WALL AND STATUE TO EAST OF HIGHNAM COURT, RUNNING UP TO BILLIARD ROOM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Highnam

National Grid Reference: SO 79390 19348

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGHNAM SO 7819-7919 9/31 Garden wall and statue to east of Highnam Court, running up to Billiard Room GV II Garden wall with gate and niche containing statue. Mid C19 for T. Gambier-Parry. English bond brickwork with ashlar dressings. Wall about 2.2 and 2.7m high, with plain stone capping. Wall extends about 4m from Billiard Room to east: square rusticated pier with moulded cap, gadrooned urn, matched opposite side gate. Between piers moulded stone surround with semi-circular head set in length of wall, wrought-iron double gates with infill over. Above scrolled broken pediment in stone, with mid C19 coat of arms in reconstructed stone (probably Pulhamite). To right of gateway vertical joint in brickwork, top of wall lowered, c100mm offset in face, about 9m from Billiard Room. Semi-circular niche about 6.5m further east, moulded surround, half-dome, wall swept up above. Interior up one stone step, C17 stone statue of Hercules, on square base, with club and lion skin. Wall continues a further llm to a rusticated pier. First part of wall and gateway C17, second part C19, largely back wall of conservatory, since demolished. Statue thought to have been originally in niche on south face of house. (A. Oswald, article in Country Life, CVII, 1950; Gloucs. R.O., D 2586, Highnam Memoranda)

Listing NGR: SO7939019348

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 134322

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1950)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

End of official listing